Have you ever felt like life is not worth living? Have the suicidal thoughts of sadness flooded in your mind to a point that you lose interest in things that used to matter to you the most? Throughout the world thousands of individuals are falling prey to the saber tooth tiger called “depression.” Depression affects how we feel, behave and think, it causes us to be hopeless, restless, have low levels of energy, be more forgetful to name a few. Not only can depression be linked to emotional problems, but it is also linked to many physical problems. Are you depressed?
Despite the many types of depression, neither one can ever occur without a cause, “as the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come” Proverbs 26:2. Before treating the symptoms, we must first ascertain the cause. What is bothering you? Is it a broken heart, is it sickness? There’s a promise for you in Psalm 147:3 “He (God) heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds.” Are you an orphan or a widow? God cares about you as in Psalm 68:5 “God, who lives in His sacred temple, cares for orphans and protects widows.” Have your family or friends forsaken you? Proverbs 18:24 says “there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.” Make Jesus that friend. Are you anxious? Claim this promise “and the peace of God, which passes ALL understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7 furthermore Philippians 4:13 says “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Tips to alleviate depression:
1. Eat food that is high in vitamins, nutrients and minerals, complex carbohydrates and a little bit of fat (avoid frying, rather steam or bake food).
2. Eat food that’s rich in antioxidants e.g. grapes, carrots, goji berries, broccoli, spinach, nuts (especially almonds), olive oil, blueberries, peaches and seeds (flax/lin seed, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds)
3. Limit sugary food/treats rather opt for complex carbohydrates like whole grains e.g. brown rice, whole wheat, and whole sorghum along with lots of fresh fruit, wheat germ, veggies and legumes.
4. Eat enough protein as found in beans, peas, soy products etc.
5. Dink lots of water
6. Spend time in the outdoors (especially in nature), exercise and bask in the sun (early morn or late noon) talk to someone you trust J
8. Think positive thoughts
9. Trust God